Monday 14 November 2011

Foolproof cheese soufflé

The thought of attempting any kind of soufflé has always petrified me…. Way too many logistics involved.

Cheese soufflé is literally one of my most favourite things and would be at the very top of my ‘last supper’ list! Whenever I see it on a menu I am instantly sold, I knew if I ever tried to recreate it at home it would be disastrous & spoil my love for it forever!

However on a very dreary rainy Saturday afternoon, after watching an episode of Masterchef I was suddenly inspired & could not concentrate on anything else until I’d given it a go!

I had to share the foolproof recipe I found… Souffle and salad is now going to be a regular fixture in our household, I might even brave mini ones next time we have people for supper to really show off! 


My 1st Soufflé sensation! 

Serves 4 in a large ramekin dish

2 tbsp butter plus tsp for greasing dish
1½ tbsp plain flour plus dusting for the dish
6 eggs, separated into 4 yolks and 6 whites
200ml milk
170g grated gruyere
50g grated parmesan
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
Turn oven on at 190C, butter a large ramekin dish and dust with flour.
Separate eggs - whites into a large bowl, yolks into small one.
• Melt the butter in saucepan, add flour and whisk for a couple of mins until lump free to make rue.
• Add milk and whisk for a few minutes until mixture is a creamy white sauce.
• Mix in grated gruyere cheese, leave to cool for a min or two.
• When cool, whisk in egg yolks and mustard.
• Beat egg whites, until they form floppy peaks.
• Use a spatula and fold cheesy/mustardy mix into egg whites. Keeping as much air in as possible.
• When the mixture is combined, pour into the large ramekin. It should fill just below the top. To create a crown, run your finger around the edge of the dish and then sprinkle with grated parmesan on top.
• Put the dish in the oven and turn the heat down immediately to 175C. Bake for 25 minutes before peeping and you should have a wonderfully fluffy, puffed up soufflé!

ENJOY!
 Love Millie xxx
Millie's Profile:
 3 favourite things
1. My wirey daxi Chilli
2. Macaroons
3. Holidays






No comments:

Post a Comment